The title of this blog is taken from Lewis Carol’s Alice in Wonderland. Down the Rabbit Hole is the title of chapter one of this classic example of literary nonsense in which Alice enters her fantasy world. Much like Alice, I have gone down a rabbit hole and entered a fantasy world wherein things are not as they appear. This is the story of my first foray into the combined, joint, inter-agency world. Thrust into a seemingly nonsensical world, I, along with numerous genuinely talented and honorable military and civilian personnel, am attempting to bring the rule of law to a country in desperate need of it.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Afghan Expert

I'm often perplexed by what I hear and read from "experts" about the war in Afghanistan.  Given that most of it fails to comport with my experience here, I have come to appreciate one of Upton Sinclair's purported quotes:  "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on him not understanding it."

Now, I certainly do not claim to be an expert -- I merely convey what I see and hear.  However, should you wish to get in on the gravy train that is defense contracting, you may want to stroll on over to the Ghosts of Alexander and learn how you too can be an expert on the war over here.

To his list, I would add:

-invent metrics that don't really measure anything significant, but appear to do so.
-employ the term "clear, hold, build" as much as possible.
-envision and explain Kandahar as equivalent to Anbar in Iraq without actually saying it.

While you enjoy these tips, I'm headed east to see a murder trial and talk to some Afghan judges and prosecutors.

1 comment: